Gujarat government has signed a pact with Vedanta Group firm Hindustan Zinc Ltd (HZL) to set up a greenfield zinc smelter in the state. This facility will entail an investment of Rs 5000- 10,000 crore in phases, creating more than 5,000 direct and indirect jobs and will be operational by 2022. The proposed 300 (kilo tonnes per annum) production capacity project would provide big employment opportunities to the local youths in this tribal area.
About the Project:
- The first phase of the proposed plant will be operational in 36 months.
- The project will satisfy the domestic as well as global needs through exports.
- The new facility – the first for Hindustan Zinc in Gujarat, will be set up with zero discharge technology and will be among the lowest-cost smelters in the world.
- This is one of the largest MoUs signed by the state under the States new industrial policy, which gives extra benefits to the companies investing in backward tribal districts.
- Hindustan Zinc is one of the world’s largest and India’s only integrated producer of Zinc-Lead and Silver.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Gujarat Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani.
- Gujarat Governor: Acharya Devvrat.