Hindi Diwas 2022: Hindi Diwas is observed every year on September 14, in all schools, colleges, workplaces, and organisations to highlight the significance of the day and the language. On September 14, 1949, the Indian Constituent Assembly declared Hindi to be the national language of India. One of the two official languages of the Union Government is Hindi, which is written in Devanagri script. The other language is English. It is one of the 22 official languages of the Indian Republic.
Hindi Diwas 2022: Significance
- The day honours the occasion when Hindi was adopted as one of India’s official languages.
- Hindi was acknowledged as one of the two official languages thanks to the efforts of Beohar Rajendra Simha and a few others, including Hazari Prasad Dwivedi, Kaka Kalelkar, Maithili Sharan Gupt, and Seth Govind Das.
- The Indian government set standards for grammar and orthography using the Devanagari script after gaining independence in order to give the mother tongue of the nation an idealised appearance.
- Following this, on September 14, 1949, the Constituent Assembly declared Hindi to be India’s official language.
- In addition, Rajendra Simha, who devoted his life to establishing Hindi as India’s official language, was born on September 14.
Hindi Diwas 2022: Important facts
- India’s most widely spoken language is Hindi with more than 70% of the population able to speak and understand.
- Bihar is the first Indian state to adopt Hindi as its official language.
- Raja Harishchandra, the first Hindi massive feature film in India, was created by Dadasaheb Phalke in 1913.
- In 1984–1985, Hum Log was presented, which was the first Hindi television drama.
- The most fascinating fact about Hindi is that the word “Hindi” is actually a Persian word, and the first Hindi poetry was created by the renowned poet “Amir Khusro.”
- French author “Grasim the Taisi” wrote the first works on the history of the Hindi language.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the country’s first minister of external affairs, delivered the first Hindi-language speech to the UN General Assembly in 1977.
- When the first Hindi web portal was created in 2000, Hindi began to leave its mark on the Internet, a trend that has since gained traction.
- One of the seven Indian languages used to construct a web address is Hindi (URL).
- Mahatma Gandhi originally discussed declaring Hindi as the national language at 1918’s Hindi Sahitya Sammelan. Hindi was referred to by Gandhiji as the language of the people.
- The Hindi language is also widely spoken outside of India, including in Nepal, Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago, Suriname, Fiji, and Mauritius.
Hindi Diwas 2022: History
- The Hindi language originated from the Indo-Aryan line of the Indo-European language speaking family.
- We are all aware that India is home to many different languages and dialects. The Hindi language was flavoured by the Mughals and Persians.
- The language was the main issue the nation faced after gaining independence.
- The Indian Constituent Assembly was chosen on December 6th, 1946, to draft the Indian Constitution.
- The Constituent Assembly accepted the Constitution’s final text on November 26, 1949, and it went into effect nationwide on January 26, 1950.
Hindi Diwas 2022: FAQ’s
Ques. Why is Hindi Diwas celebrated on 14 September?
Ans: On 14 September 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India decided by one vote that Hindi would be the official language of India. Hindi Diwas is celebrated every year on 14 September to mark this day. The day is also the birthday of Behar Rajendra Simha, an acclaimed Indian scholar.
Ques. When is the Hindi Diwas celebrated and why?
Ans: The official language of the Union will be Hindi and the script Devanagari. The form of numerals to be used for the official purposes of the Union shall be the international form. This decision was taken on 14th September, this day was the 50th birthday of Hindi litterateur Vyahar Rajendra Singha, hence this day was considered the best for Hindi Diwas.
Ques. Where was the first Hindi Diwas Celebrated?
Ans: World Hindi conferences were started with the aim of developing and disseminating Hindi in the world and the first World Hindi Conference was held in Nagpur on January 10, 1975, since then this day is celebrated as ‘World Hindi Day’.
Ques. When is the first Hindi Diwas Celebrated?
Ans: World Hindi Day was first celebrated in 2006 by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh with an aim to promote Hindi language across the world.
Ques. When Hindi Diwas began?
Ans: Hindi Divas is celebrated on 14 September every year since 1953 to promote Hindi language in every region of the country.