Hockey India and Sports Authority of India (SAI) has announced the plan of establishing the High Performance Hockey Centres. These High Performance Hockey Centres aims to provide state-of-the-art facilities to junior and sub-Junior players and to groom the young talent in view of 2024 and 2028 Olympic Games. These High Performance Hockey Centres will be established in seven places across India. The monitoring of these High Performance Hockey Centres will be done by Hockey India while keeping in mind that athletes are provided with international exposure.
Establishment of High Performance Centres:
The seven High Performance Hockey Centres will have expert professional training, utilization of sports science, and education of the youngsters. It will be set up under the purview of Khelo India scheme. Hockey India & SAI will also convert other capable centres around the country into High Performance Centres in the future.
The seven High Performance Hockey Centres will be installed at the following places:
1. SAI Centre, Bengaluru, Karnataka (South Zone)
2. Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, New Delhi (North Zone)
3. SAI Sundergarh, Odisha (East Zone)
4. SAI UDMCC, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh (Central Zone)
5. SAI NS NEC, Takyel, Imphal, Manipur (North-East Zone)
6. Balewadi Sports Complex, Pune, Maharashtra (West Zone)
7. SAI Centre, Ranchi and Gomke Jaipal Singh Astroturf Hockey Stadium (East Zone II)
Impact of establishing the High Performance Hockey Centres:
The High Performance Hockey Centres will accommodate 72 men and 72 women players in the range of 14 years-24 years. The centre will ensure their preparation level through proper training, and their readiness for the upcoming 2024 and 2028 Olympic Games. In this manner, India will be having a strong bench strength of players who are capable of facing the challenges in the upcoming international events and winning these events for the nation.