India’s first green hydrogen blending operation in the piped natural gas (PNG) network at NTPC Kawas, Gujarat. The project is a joint effort of NTPC and Gujarat Gas (GCL). The power generation company stated that the first molecular of green hydrogen from the project was set in motion by P Ram Prasad, Head of Project, Kawas in presence of other senior executives of NTPC Kawas and GCL.
After the start of blending and operation, NTPC Kawas held an awareness workshop for township residents with help of GCL officials. The foundation stone of the project was laid by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi on 30th July 2022.
Hydrogen Blended PNG Project Starts Operation at NTPC Kawas Gujarat- Key Points
- The set-up is geared up to supply H2-NG (Natural Gas) to households of Kawas township at Surat.
- Green hydrogen in Kawas is made by electrolysis of water using power from an already installed 1 megawatt (MW) floating solar project.
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB), the regulatory body has approved 5% vol./vol. blending of green hydrogen with PNG to start with and the blending level would be scaled phase-wise to reach 20%.
- Green Hydrogen when blended with natural gas reduces CO2 emissions keeping the net heating content the same.
- NTPC states that this feat is achieved only by a few select countries like the UK, Germany, Australia, etc.
- This would bring India to the center stage of the global hydrogen economy.
- India will not only reduce its hydrocarbon import bill significantly but also bring forex ashore by being a green hydrogen and green chemicals exporter to the world.
- NTPC is India’s largest energy conglomerate. It has a presence in the entire value chain of the power generation business.