On the occasion of National Science Day 2022, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology; Minister of State (Independent Charge) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh, launched the International Monsoons Project Office (IMPO) through a high-level virtual event.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- For the first five years, the International Monsoons Project Office (IMPO) will be housed at the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, which is part of the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Indian government.
- The establishment of the IMPO emphasises the importance of monsoons to the country’s economy. Under the guidance of the World Climate Research Programme and the World Weather Research Programme, it would cover activities and relationships relating to international monsoon research that would be recognised and supported.
- The United Nations World Meteorological Organization coordinates both the World Climate Research Programme and the World Weather Research Programme, which are international programmes (WMO).
- Establishing the IMPO in India would entail expanding an integrated scientific approach to address monsoon seasonal variability, improving monsoon and cyclone prediction skills, strengthening monsoon research for better support operations and services, and promoting knowledge sharing and capacity building in areas of monsoon research critical for agriculture, water resources and disaster management, hydropower, and climate-sensitive socio-economic sectors.
The International Monsoons Project Office (IMPO):
- The IMPO’s key responsibilities include supporting the Monsoons Panel, which was jointly formed by the CLIVAR (Climate and Ocean Variability, Predictability, and Change) and GEWEX (Global Energy and Water Exchanges) programmes of the World Climate Research Programme.
- The World Weather Research Programme’s working group on tropical meteorology research will also benefit from IMPO’s assistance.