The 3-day long celebrations of the 400th birth anniversary of Ahom commander Lachit Barphukan began in New Delhi. Union Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the exhibition on the occasion highlighting the life and achievement of the Ahom dynasty and Lachit Barphukan among others.
India Celebrates 400th Birth Anniversary of Lachit Barphukan – Key Points
- Sitharaman has urged the Assam government to hold such exhibitions across the country to let people know about the achievement of the Ahom kingdom and the valor of Lachit Barphukan.
- She has also requested the Ministry of Culture to join hands with the Assam government in its endeavor. Ms. Sitharaman said that the heroics of Lachit Barphukan inspired and motivated her.
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma informed that Indian history ignored the heroism of Ahoms and Lachit Barphukan and other similar dynasties.
- He also that this initiative would help people to know the real heroes of the country and a slew of measures is being taken to establish the valor of Lachit Barphukan from a national perspective.
- He said that Home Minister Amit Shah will inaugurate the documentary on Lachit Barphukan tomorrow while Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend the closing ceremony.