During a meeting between Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and Vietnamese General Phan Van Gang, it was revealed that the Vietnam People’s Navy will soon receive the INS Kirpan, a warship from the Khukri class commissioned in 1991. The announcement was made by Rajnath Singh, indicating the intent to transfer the vessel to Vietnam to bolster its naval capabilities.
About the meeting
- A meeting was held in New delhi to review progress on various bilateral defence cooperation initatives.It was decided that Khukri class warship INS Kirpan which is scheduled to be decommissioned will be gifted to Vietnam in order to enhance its forces.
- Vietnamese defence minister visited DRDO Headquarters and discussed ways to enhance defence industrial capabilities by joint cooperation of both the countries in defence research.
Aim of the meeting
- To enhance existing areas of collaboration, especially in the field of defence industry cooperation, maritime security and multinational cooperation.
- India and Vietnam have a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership since 2016, and further defence partnerships are a key pillar to enhance the capabilities of their armed forces.
- Vietnam’s capital city is Hanoi, known for its rich history and cultural heritage.
- The currency of Vietnam is the Vietnamese dong, which is the official currency used for transactions in the country.