India formally handed over Rs 100 crore patrol vessel “PS Zoroaster” to Seychelles during the virtual summit between Indian PM Narendra Modi and Seychelles President Wavel Ramkalawan. The PS Zoroaster is the fourth made-in-India patrol boat developed for Seychelles since 2005. The other vessels gifted by India include PS Topaz (2005), PS Constant (2014), Patrol Boat Hermes (2016).
About the PS Zoroaster:
- The 48.9-metre patrol boat has been built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineering at an estimated cost of Rs 100 crore.
- The vessel has a top speed of 35 knots and an endurance of 1,500 nautical miles.
- It will be used for multi-purpose operations, such as patrolling, anti-smuggling and anti-poaching operations, and search and rescue.
Other projects launched
- Both the leaders inaugurated the new magistrates’ court building in Mahe, constructed with a $3.5-million grant from India.
- India also handed over a 1 MW solar power plant at Romainville Island of Seychelles built at a cost of $3.4 million by the Government of India.
- 10 High Impact Community Development Projects were also inaugurated.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Seychelles Capital: Victoria.
- Seychelles Currency: Seychellois rupee.
- Seychelles Continent: Africa.