External Affairs Minister (EAM), S. Jaishankar was on a two-day official visit to the archipelago nation the Maldives to review bilateral ties and development cooperation. During this visit, Mr S Jaishankar handed over 1 lakh additional doses of the made-in-India COVID-19 vaccine to the Maldives. With this, the total Covid vaccine doses gifted by India for the Maldives reaches two lakh. Jaishankar also offered a $40-million line of credit (LoC) to support the development of sports infrastructure in the Maldives.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Apart from this, five pacts were signed between India and Maldives to boost infrastructure in the island nation. They included:
- Amendatory Agreement to repurpose an older EXIM Bank of India Line of Credit of USD 25 million for Road Devt.
- Letter of Intent between EXIM Bank and local authorities for financing a housing project of 2000 units in Hulhumale.
- MoU on grant funding USD 0.5 million for a fish processing plant in Kendhikulhudhoo in the northern Maldives.
- MoU on capacity building and exchange of content and expertise between Prasar Bharati and Public State Media, Maldives.
- MoU on sustainable urban development between MoHUA and Ministry of national planning, housing and infrastructure, Maldives.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- President of the Maldives: Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
- Capital of Maldives: Male; Currency of the Maldives: Maldivian Rufiyaa.
Find More News Related to Agreements