In the Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2020, India has been ranked at 8th spot globally in the list of countries most affected by terrorism in 2019. The GTI score of India is 7.353 out of 10. India recorded 277 Deaths, 439 Injuries & 558 Incidents due to Terrorism in 2019. Regionally, South Asia was the most impacted region by terrorism in 2019, recording more deaths than any other region. Also, globally the deaths caused due to terrorism fell by 15 per cent to 13,286 in 2019 over 2018.
- Jammu and Kashmir was the most affected Region due to terrorism, it reported 165 attacks and 103 deaths. The three most active groups in Kashmir was Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM), Hizbul Mujahideen & Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
- Chhattisgarh was the second most affected region in India with 85 attacks and 53 deaths all from Maoist Extremists.
Countries Most Affected by Terrorism:
- With a score of 9.592, Afghanistan has topped the index as the worst terror impacted nation among the 163 countries.
- It is followed by Iraq (8.682) and Nigeria (8.314) at second and third place respectively.
Countries Least Affected by Terrorism:
- Qatar (0.014) took the 133rd Rank followed by Uzbekistan (0.010) in the 134th Rank and around 29 Countries (score of 0.000) took the 135th Rank which means they are Least Affected Countries or Face No Impact due to Terrorism.
About the Global Terrorism Index:
The Global Terrorism Index is published annually by the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP), headquartered in Sydney, Australia, to measure the impact of terrorism on the countries.