Indian Navy received the 10th anti-submarine warfare aircraft P-8I from the US-based aerospace company Boeing. The Defence Ministry had signed a contract for eight P-8I aircraft in 2009. However, later in 2016, it signed a contract for four additional P-8I aircraft. The remaining two aircrafts are expected to be delivered in the last quarter of 2021.
About the P-8I:
- P-8I is a long-range maritime reconnaissance and Anti-Submarine Warfare Aircraft, and a variant of the P-8A Poseidon used by the US Navy.
- India was the first international customer of Boeing for this aircraft.
- The Indian Navy inducted the first P-8I aircraft in 2013, while the ninth P-8I aircraft was received in November 2020.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Headquarters of Boeing: Chicago, United States.
- Boeing Founded: 15 July 1916.
- President and Chief Executive Officer of Boeing: David L. Calhoun.