The Ministry of Railways announced the closure of the Central Organisation for Modernization of Workshops (COFMOW), New Delhi. It will come in effect from 1st December 2022. Railway Board confirmed the winding up of the four-decade old organization that contributed significantly towards the modernization of the workshop across the railway networks, with the recommendations of the Principal Economic Advisor, and Ministry of Finance.
Key Points related to the Closure of Central Organisation for Modernization
- COFMOW was barred from floating or opening of tenders with the immediate effect of closure.
- All the sanctioned works against which tender have not been finalised.
- The workers will be transferred to the respective Zonal Railways or Production Unit.
- All non-gazetted posts would be surrendered and the staff released/repatriated/re-deployed somewhere else.
- The infrastructure and buildings of the organization will be handed over to the Railway Board by 30th November 2022.
COFMOW has successfully helped in the modernization of production units and workshops since it’s inception in 1979. The organisation acquired unmatched expertise in developing specifications for machinery for over four decades.