The India Smart Cities Awards 2022, organized by the Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry, have recognized Indore as the best city and Madhya Pradesh as the best state in the Smart Cities Mission. The awards celebrate the progress and achievements of cities and states in promoting sustainable development and enhancing the quality of urban life across India.
Top City and State Recognized:
- Best City Award: Indore has been named the best city in the India Smart Cities Awards 2022. The city has a remarkable track record, being consistently ranked as the cleanest city in the Swachh Bharat Mission for six consecutive years.
- Best State Award: Madhya Pradesh has been recognized as the best state in the Smart Cities Mission. The state has shown significant commitment to urban development through the implementation of multi-sectoral projects aimed at improving citizens’ quality of life.
Top Smart Cities:
- Second Best City: Surat secured the second position among the smart cities for its notable efforts in urban development.
- Third Best City: Agra claimed the third spot for its initiatives contributing to the Smart Cities Mission.
- Second Best State: Tamil Nadu was placed second among the states, reflecting its strides in urban development and sustainable projects.
- Shared Third Best State: Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh shared the third position among the states for their contributions to the Smart Cities Mission.
Award Categories and Winning Projects:
- Built Environment Category: Coimbatore’s model roads and restoration of lakes project was recognized as the top project in this category.
- Economy Category: Jabalpur’s incubation center project was awarded the top position for its economic impact.
- Mobility Category: Chandigarh’s public bike-sharing initiative stood out in the mobility category.
- Governance Category: Chandigarh also excelled in the governance category, specifically in e-governance services.
- Union Territory Category: Chandigarh received the overall award for being the best Union Territory in the India Smart Cities Awards.
Progress of Smart Cities Mission:
- The Smart Cities Mission, launched in 2015, has seen significant achievements. The 100 selected cities have completed 76% of the proposed projects worth Rs. 1.10 lakh crore.
- The remaining projects, valued at Rs. 60,095 crore, are expected to be completed by June 30, 2024. The deadline was extended to accommodate the completion of projects due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Integrated Command and Control Centers (ICCC):
- All 100 Smart Cities have operational Integrated Command and Control Centers (ICCC), which serve as the urban management nerve center. These centers have enhanced urban services, including crime tracking, safety measures, transport management, waste management, water supply, and disaster management.
ISAC Awards and Its Goals:
- The India Smart Cities Awards aim to recognize and reward cities, projects, and ideas that contribute to sustainable development and enhance the overall quality of life for urban residents.
- The awards promote inclusivity, equity, safety, health, and collaboration among cities.
Selection Process and Nominations:
- The ISAC 2022 had a two-stage submission process. The Qualifying Stage assessed cities’ overall performance, while the Proposal Stage required nominations for six award categories.
- Out of 845 nominations from 80 qualifying smart cities, 66 winners were identified across various categories.