The Institute of Economic Growth has appointed Chetan Ghate as the new director succeeding Ajit Mishra. He was a member of the Reserve Bank of India’s first monetary policy committee between 2016-2020, is the winner of the 2014 Mahalanobis Memorial gold medal for the best research economist in the country under the age of 45. He is currently an external affiliate of the Centre for Research in Macroeconomics and Macro-Finance at Swansea University (Wales, UK).
Achievements of Chetan Ghate:
- Ghate has a Ph.D in economics from Claremont Graduate University, California in 1999. His research areas include macroeconomics, monetary economics, economic growth and the Indian macro-economy.
- Ghate has been a professor of economics at the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Delhi for over 18 years. He is also a member of the advisory committee of the national accounts system (ACNAS) in the ministry of statistics and programme implementation.
About the Institute of Economic Growth:
The Institute of Economic Growth conducts advanced research on economic and social development in areas as diverse as macroeconomics, labour, international trade, public health, environment, agriculture, demography, sociology and industrial organization. IEG is one of the leading research and training centres in India with a global reputation for research on the Indian economy. The Institute also provides induction training for the Indian Economic Service Officers.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Institute of Economic Growth Chairperson: Tarun Das;
- Institute of Economic Growth Founder: V. K. R. V. Rao;
- Institute of Economic Growth Founded: 1952.