The Inter-State Council has been formed, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi as Chairman and Chief Ministers of all States and six Union ministers as members. Ten union ministers will be permanent invitees to the Inter-State Council. The government has also reestablished the Inter-State Council’s standing committee, with Union Home Minister Amit Shah as its chairman.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- Prime Minister Modi serves as Chairman, all Chief Ministers of States and Union Territories with legislative assemblies, as well as the administrators of UTs without legislative assemblies, have been appointed as members.
- Rajnath Singh, Amit Shah, Nirmala Sitharaman, Narendra Singh Tomar, Virendra Kumar, Hardeep Singh Puri, Nitin Gadkari, S Jaishankar, Arjun Munda, Piyush Goyal, Dhamendra Pradhan, Pralhad Joshi, Ashwini Vaishnaw, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Kiren Rijiju, and Bhupender Yadav are among the union ministers.
- The council’s mandate is to provide a solid institutional structure to promote and maintain cooperative federalism throughout the country, as well as to activate the council and zonal councils by holding regular meetings.
- It also enables the zonal councils and inter-State councils to address all current and emergent issues of Centre-State and inter-State relations, as well as build a strong mechanism for monitoring the execution of the inter-State council and zonal council’s recommendations.
- The Inter-State Council’s standing committee will be chaired by Amit Shah, and members will include Union ministers Nirmala Sitharaman, Narendra Singh Tomar, Virendra Kumar, and Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
- Members of the Inter-State Council’s standing committee include the Chief Ministers of Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Odisha, Punjab, and Uttar Pradesh.
- The standing committee will consult continuously and process items for discussion by the council, as well as any matters relevant to center-state relations before they are brought before the inter-state council for deliberation.
- The standing committee also oversees the implementation of decisions made in response to the council’s recommendations and considers any additional matters presented to it by the chairman or the council.
The standing committee may invite specialists and notable persons in specialised sectors to provide their perspectives while discussing the connected topics.