India and Australia have faced each other 12 times in the ICC Men’s ODI World Cup and have an intense rivalry. Australia holds the edge in these matches, having got the better of India in 8 out of 12 games. India lost to Australia in the semi-finals of the 2015 World Cup and the finals of the 2003 World Cup.
Interesting facts and records you must know about India vs Australia in ODIs
- The first ODI between Australia and India was played at Melbourne on December 6, 1980. India won by 66 runs with Sandeep Patil being adjudged Man of the Match.
- Sachin Tendulkar is the highest run getter in ODIs between the two teams with 3077 runs in 71 matches.
- Brett Lee holds the record for the most wickets between India and Australia in ODIs with 55 in 32 matches. Brett Lee’s best bowling was 5/27.
- Rohit Sharma holds the record for the highest individual score in an India vs Australia match in ODIs. Rohit slammed 209 runs in 158 balls with 16 sixes and 12 fours in November 2013.
- Murali Karthik’s 6/27 in 2007 at Mumbai is the best-ever bowling figure by a bowler in India vs Australia one day international cricket matches.
- Australia has the edge over India in head-to-head ODI matches, winning 82 out of 147 matches, while India has won 56 matches. 10 matches have ended in no result.
- The highest total scored by a team in an India vs Australia ODI match is 434/4 by Australia at Canberra in 2016.
- The lowest total scored by a team in an India vs Australia ODI match is 91 by India at Adelaide in 1981.
- The highest individual score in an India vs Australia ODI match is 183 by Sachin Tendulkar at Hyderabad in 2009.
- The most wickets taken by a bowler in an India vs Australia ODI match is 7 by Glenn McGrath at Nagpur in 2004.
- The fastest century in an India vs Australia ODI match was scored by Shane Watson in 69 balls at Bangalore in 2013.
- The most consecutive wins by a team in India vs Australia ODI matches is 6 by Australia between 2009 and 2013.
- The most man-of-the-match awards won by a player in India vs Australia ODI matches is 10 by Sachin Tendulkar.
- The most man-of-the-series awards won by a player in India vs Australia ODI series is 5 by Adam Gilchrist.