International Human Solidarity Day 2022:
International Human Solidarity Day (IHSD) is observed annually on December 20 across the globe to celebrate the ideal of unity in diversity. IHSD highlights the goal of the United Nations and its member states to create awareness about poverty and the need to reduce poverty in independent nations.
How we celebrates International Human Solidarity Day?
- A day to celebrate our unity in diversity;
- A day to remind governments to respect their commitments to international agreements;
- A day to raise public awareness of the importance of solidarity;
- A day to encourage debate on the ways to promote solidarity for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals including poverty eradication;
- A day of action to encourage new initiatives for poverty eradication.
International Human Solidarity Day 2022: Significance
The celebration of the International Day of Human Solidarity is a significant step in the aim of the United Nations Sustainable Development Agenda for 2030, to eradicate poverty in all its forms across the globe. The annual celebration reminds world citizens of the issues faced by poor people and nations affected by poverty. The day serves to remind governments, civil society members and other institutions that poverty can tackled and eradicated only through a united effort to help usher in an era where social equality, dignity and justice prevails
International Human Solidarity Day: History
- As per the United Nations Millennium Declaration published on September 18, 2000, the word ‘solidarity’ was added to the UN as one of the fundamental values that are to be essential for international relations.
- On the Solidarity issues, the UN resolution document states, “Global challenges must be managed in a way that distributes the costs and burdens fairly in accordance with basic principles of equity and social justice. Those who suffer or who benefit least deserve help from those who benefit most.”
- On December 20, 2002, the UN General Assembly introduced a World Solidarity Fund to help counter global poverty. This got included in the United Nation Development Programme (UNDP) trust fund in February 2003. To commemorate the above day, the UN declared December 20 as International Human Solidarity Day.