Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has unveiled its patented indigenous solar cook top, “Surya Nutan”, developed by the oil refiner’s Faridabad R&D centre. Surya Nutan will aid in reducing India’s CO 2 emissions drastically and keep our citizens insulated from the vagaries of the high international fossil fuel prices.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
The product was demonstrated in the presence of the Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas (MoPNG) HS Puri; Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Minister Giriraj Singh; Minister of State (MoS) for Commerce & Industry Som Prakash; MoS for Housing & Urban Affairs Kaushal Kishore, and Minister of Finance and Parliamentary Affairs of Uttar Pradesh Suresh Khanna.
About the Surya Nutan:
- The solar cook top is a stationary, rechargeable and kitchen-connected indoor solar cooking system. It offers an online cooking mode while charging
- Surya Nutan works in hybrid mode, which means it can run on both solar and auxiliary energy sources simultaneously. The insulation design of the solar cook top minimises radiative and conductive heat losses.
- The initial cost of the product was Rs 12,000 for the base model and Rs 23,000 for the top model. However, the cost is expected to reduce substantially with economies of scale.
- At present, pilot projects are being held in around 60 places such as Leh (Ladakh) to ascertain various operational and commercial aspects related with its application.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Indian Oil Corporation Chairperson: Shrikant Madhav Vaidya;
- Indian Oil Corporation Headquarters: New Delhi;
- Indian Oil Corporation Founded: 30 June 1959.