Ladakh has approached the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), a unit of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for developing “Spatial Data Infrastructure geoportal ‘Geo-Ladakh’ for UT-Ladakh”. This portal will be used to find, access, distribute & contribute geospatial information and its associated geographic services such as navigation, buffer, measurements analysis, metadata catalogue, map catalogue and more.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
The project also aims towards training of UT-Ladakh officials on geospatial techniques and applications. Portal provides geospatial data visualization and analytics for UT-Ladakh, consisting of the spatial viewer, carbon neutrality, geospatial utility mapping and geo-tourism.
An MoU was also signed between IIRS (ISRO) and UT-Ladakh administration on January 1, 2022, towards carrying out the above work. Presently, ISRO is also setting up an optical telescope at Hanle for tracking spacecraft and space objects, the Minister further added.
How is the world benefiting from GIS technology?
- Smart cities are taking a geographic approach, by using maps and sensors to understand the needs of their communities, allocate essential resources, and streamline operations. GIS has greatly assisted in improving communication through the creation of rich maps and hi-tech communication systems.
- It has improved communication between different departments, teams, disciplines, professional fields, organizations, and the public. It provides a geographic context allowing people to understand the makeup and needs of communities and deliver more equitable care.
- GIS has been heavily leaned upon throughout this global pandemic with spatial analysis turning out to be an essential tool. Maps and other platforms were constantly updated to track where people were infected hence giving organizations crucial information about where potential outbreaks were taking place. It eventually helped to slow the pandemic down.
Important Takeaways for All Competitive Exams:
- ISRO Chairman: S. Somanath;
- ISRO’s foundation Date: 15th August, 1969;
- ISRO’s Founder: Dr. Vikram Sarabhai.