Janardan Prasad appointed new Director-General of GSI
Janardan Prasad has been appointed as the new Director General of the Geological Survey of India (GSI). Prasad has taken charge of the 174-year-old institution, succeeding Dr S Raju who has been the Director General since 2020.
About Geological Survey of India (GSI)
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI), an attached office to the Ministry of Mines, has its headquarters in the city, with six regional offices in Lucknow, Jaipur, Nagpur, Hyderabad, Shillong, and Kolkata.
About Janardan Prasad:
- Janardan Prasad had previously worked as a geologist in GSI, Gandhinagar in 1988 after earning an MSc in Geology from Patna University.
- Prasad has also worked in Shillong, Patna, Faridabad, Ranchi, and Hyderabad in various capacities.
- Before being appointed as the Director General, Janardan Prasad was the Additional Director General and Head of the Department of the southern region.
- Prasad is an experienced metallogeny and mineral exploration specialist who has conducted extensive research on minerals in Saurashtra and other areas of Gujarat such as limestone, gold, base metal, PGE and bauxite.
- Furthermore, Janardan Prasad was part of the Justice MB Shah Commission, which investigated illegal mining of iron and manganese in Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Chhattisgarh, and Odisha.