In a formal ceremony held at Raj Bhavan, Justice Ashish Jitendra Desai took the oath as the 38th Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court. Kerala Governor Arif Mohammed Khan administered the oath of office to the newly appointed Chief Justice, signifying the commencement of his tenure.
Justice Desai’s Judicial Journey
- He was previously a Judge of the Gujarat High Court and served as the senior-most Judge of that court, also temporarily performing the duties of the office of Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court.
- His appointment as Chief Justice of Kerala High Court was recommended by the Supreme Court Collegium on July 6, 2023, following the elevation of the previous Chief Justice SV Bhatt to the Supreme Court.
- The appointment was subsequently notified by the Centre on July 19, 2023.
More about Kerala
- Kerala is a state located in southwestern India.
- Bordered by the Arabian Sea to the west and Karnataka and Tamil Nadu to the north and east.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum); Major cities: Kochi, Kozhikode, Thrissur, Kollam.
- Official language: Malayalam; English widely used for official and educational purposes.
- Known for rich cultural heritage, with classical dance forms like Kathakali and Mohiniyattam.
- Celebrates colorful festivals like Onam, Vishu, and Thrissur Pooram.
- Attracts tourists with hill stations like Munnar, Wayanad, and Thekkady.
- High literacy rate and strong emphasis on education.