Karnataka Chief Minister, BS Yediyurappa has unveiled the Karnataka Electric Bike Taxi scheme-2021. This will serve as a bridge between public transport and daily commuters. The scheme aims to reduce travel time and inconvenience in reaching bus, railway and metro stations. It will allow people, partnership firms and companies to participate.
The authority concerned will issue licences under this scheme. Vehicles registered under this scheme will be in the transport category for which the government has given several exemptions like permits, tax and financial benefits for electric vehicles manufacturers.
About the scheme:
- The Karnataka Electric Bike Taxi Scheme-2021 will boost self-employment, promote an eco-friendly environment, fuel conservation, strengthen public transport and encourage establishing related industries.
- The distance between the origin and destination for a trip shall not be more than 10 km, and the authority concerned will decide, from time to time, the routes that shall be excluded from the operation of the bike taxis.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Karnataka Capital: Bengaluru;
- Karnataka Chief minister: B. S. Yediyurappa;
- Karnataka Governor: Thawarchand Gehlot.