Kerala becomes the first state in the country to fix the floor price for vegetables. The floor price will be 20 per cent above the production cost of the vegetable. Even if the market price goes below the floor price, the product will be procured at the floor price from the farmers. This is the first time in the country that the floor price is being fixed for vegetables produced in the state.
Benefits of the scheme:
- This is going to provide relief as well as support for the farmers.
- The produce will be graded and the floor price will be fixed based on the quality.
- Sixteen varieties of vegetables would be covered in the first phase and there is a provision to revise the floor price on a regular basis.
- Farmers can register on the agriculture department’s registration portal after insuring the crop to get the benefit of the floor price.
- The scheme also envisages setting up the entire supply chain process like cold storage facilities and refrigerated vehicles for transporting the produce.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chief Minister of Kerala: Pinarayi Vijayan; Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan.