First constitution literate district
The Indian district of Kollam has become the country’s first constitution literate district. The announcement was made by Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. The district’s success is the result of a seven-month campaign launched by the Kollam district panchayat, District Planning Committee, and the Kerala Institute of Local Administration (KILA) to educate citizens about the country’s laws and their rights.
About the campaign:
- The campaign aimed to provide constitutional literacy to 23 lakh citizens belonging to 7 lakh families in the district. To achieve this goal, awareness classes were organized for around 90% of the people in Kollam.
- Around 16.3 lakh people above the age of 10 were educated by 2,200 trainers called “senators,” who visited schools, offices, auto stands, and tribal councils to create awareness.
- The Constitution literacy campaign in Kollam district is expected to help in a number of ways. By providing education about the country’s laws and citizens’ rights, the campaign aims to create a more informed and aware citizenry.
- This can lead to better understanding of one’s rights and responsibilities as a citizen, and can also help in holding the government accountable for its actions. It also helps the government’s efforts to improve secularism and the social environment.
About the Kollam:
- Kollam, also known as Quilon, is an ancient port city located on the banks of the Ashtamudi Lake in the Indian state of Kerala. Kollam was once a major center of international trade, particularly in spices and cashew nuts, and was an important port for the Chinese, Arabs, and Europeans.
- The city is home to the Thangassery Light House, which is one of the oldest lighthouses in the country and offers a panoramic view of the city.
- Kollam is also famous for its traditional Kerala-style houseboats, known as Kettuvallams, which are used for backwater tourism.
- The city is known for its rich cultural heritage and is home to several ancient temples, churches, and mosques, including the famous Sree Maha Ganapathi Temple, Kadakkal Devi Temple, and the St. Thomas Orthodox Cathedral.