Why the scheme is in news?
On Monday, the Union Labour Minister Bhupender Yadav introduced new functionalities on the eShram portal. One of the features will enable the capture of family details of migrant workers to provide them with access to child education and women-centric schemes.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
The eShram portal now allows registered workers to connect with employment opportunities, apprenticeship programs, skilling initiatives, digital training, pension schemes, and state-specific schemes. As per the statement released by the Ministry of Labour, this step will aid workers in accessing various government benefits seamlessly.
Ministry: – Ministry of Labour & Employment
Launch Year: – August 26, 2021
Implementing Body: – Government in States/UTs will conduct registration of unorganised workers across the country.
- Creation of a centralized database of all unorganized workers (UWs) including Construction Workers, Migrant Workers, Gig and Platform workers, Street Vendors, Domestic Workers, Agriculture Workers, etc., to be seeded with Aadhaar.
- To improve the implementation efficiency of the social security services for the unorganized workers.(ii) Integration of Social Security Schemes meant for UWs being administered by MoLE and subsequently those run by other ministries as well.
- Sharing of information in respect of registered unorganised workers with various stakeholders such as Ministries/ Departments/ Boards/ Agencies/ Organisations of the Central & State Governments through APIs for delivery of various social security and welfare schemes being administered by them.
- Portability of the social security and welfare benefits to the migrant and construction workers.
- Providing a comprehensive database to Central and State Governments for tackling any National Crises like COVID-19 in future.
Target of the Scheme: – To register 38 crore unorganised workers such as construction labourers, migrant workforce, street vendors, and domestic workers, among others.
Beneficiaries:- An unorganised worker (UW)
Eligibility criteria: – An unorganised worker (UW)
- Age should be between 16-59 years.
- Not a member of EPFO/ESIC or NPS (Govt. funded)
You may also read this: