Uttar Pradesh, a prominent state in northern India, is known for its rich cultural heritage and historical significance, attracting tourists from across the country and around the world. This state is also renowned for having the most districts among all the Indian states. In this article, we will delve into the largest district of Uttar Pradesh state and the significance of Lakhimpur Kheri, the largest district in UP state.
Which is the Largest District in Uttar Pradesh?
Lakhimpur Kheri, the largest district in Uttar Pradesh, was previously known as “Lakshmi-pur” district and it derived its name from the abundance of Khirni trees in the region, which are associated with the name “Khiri.” This district spreads over an expansive area of 7,680 square kilometers, making it the largest district in the state.
Largest District in Uttar Pradesh – Historical Significance
Lakhimpur Kheri has a rich history, with traditions pointing to its inclusion under the rule of the Lunar race of Hastinapur. Several places within the district are associated with episodes from the Mahabharata and many villages contain ancient mounds with fragments of sculptures. Notable historical artifacts, such as a stone horse bearing the inscription of Samudra Gupta from the 4th century, highlight the district’s historical roots.
Fascinating Facts related to the Largest District in Uttar Pradesh
- Lakhimpur Kheri is the largest district in Uttar Pradesh, covering an extensive area of 7,680 sq. kilometers.
- The district’s name, Lakhimpur Kheri, is derived from the abundant khirni trees in the region, historically associated with the name “Khiri.”
- Dudhwa National Park, located in Lakhimpur Kheri, a renowned wildlife sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh, known for its diverse flora and fauna.
- The Mandakini Temple in the district is known for its unique frog-shaped architecture and religious significance.
- Lakhimpur Kheri houses a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, steeped in history and spirituality.
- The Teerthnath Temple, situated on the banks of the Gomti River, is a cultural hub known for hosting fairs during the Shravan month.
- The district’s historical and cultural significance, along with its natural beauty, making it an attractive destination for travelers exploring the heart of Uttar Pradesh.
- Lakhimpur Kheri offers attractions for wildlife enthusiasts, history buffs and those interested in religious and cultural experiences.
- The district is a testament to the rich and diverse heritage of Uttar Pradesh, inviting visitors to explore its wonders.
The Vast Expanse of Uttar Pradesh
Covering a sprawling 243,286 square kilometers, Uttar Pradesh is a state of colossal proportions. Its vast landscape encapsulates a kaleidoscope of heritage, traditions and landscapes that draw tourists from far and wide.
Uttar Pradesh, The State with Most Districts
Uttar Pradesh, with an impressive 75 districts, organized into 18 divisions, claims the distinction of having the highest number of districts in India. This administrative structure reflects the state’s diverse regions, each with its unique charm and character.
The Most Populous State
Not only does Uttar Pradesh boas the more districts, but it also holds the title of India’s most populous state, with a staggering population exceeding 16 crores (160 million), according to the 2011 census. This rich tapestry of humanity contributes to the state’s vibrant culture and traditions.