Make My Trip, Goibibo (MMT-Go), and OYO were fined Rs 392 crore by the Competition Commission of India (CCI). CCI fined these companies which were spelled out in a 131-page order which is for “unfair business practices”. Make My Trip and Goibibo will pay a fine of Rs 223.48 crore while OYO will pay Rs 168.88 crore.
Bank Maha Pack includes Live Batches, Test Series, Video Lectures & eBooks
Key Points related to CCI
- MMT-Go alleged that it imposed a price parity in its agreements with hotel partners.
- These deals restrict the hotel to not sell its rooms on any other platform or its online portal at a price below the price at which it is being offered on the two entities.
- Make My Trip accorded preferential treatment to OYO on its platform which caused a denial of market access to other companies.
- The findings are the results of a detailed investigation into the matter that was on since 2019.
- The CCI also directed MMT-GO to suitably modify its agreements with hotels/chains hotels to remove/abandon the price and room availability parity obligations imposed by it on its hotel/chain hotel partners.