2022 ’BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year’ award
Tokyo Olympic Games silver-medallist weightlifter Mirabai Chanu has bagged the 2022 ’BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year’ award after a public vote. The 28-year-old weightlifter from Manipur became the first athlete to win the award twice in a row after bagging it in 2021 as well. BBC Indian Sportswoman of the Year Award was launched in 2019 to celebrate sportswomen in India who have made their mark on the world stage.
Other awardee’s in different Categories:
- Table tennis player Bhavina Patel won the ’BBC Para Sportswoman of the Year’ award, a category introduced this year. She won a silver at the 2020 Paralympics in Tokyo, becoming the first Indian paddler to achieve the feat. Bhavina also won gold at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Former captain of the Indian women’s hockey team Pritam Siwach was conferred with the ’BBC Lifetime Achievement Award’ for her contribution to Indian sports and for inspiring generations of players. Siwach was the first woman hockey coach to be given the Dronacharya Award, the highest national award for coaches.
- Boxer Nitu Ghanghas was chosen as the ’BBC Emerging Player of the Year’. She is a two-time youth world champion and Commonwealth Games medallist. She won gold at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in the minimum weight category.
- The women’s lawn bowls team of Lovely Choubey, Rupa Rani Tirkey, Pinki and Nayanmoni Saikia, which won gold at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, India’s first-ever medal in the sport was given the ’BBC Changemaker of the Year Award’.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- BBC Headquarters: London, United Kingdom;
- Director-General of the BBC Timothy Douglas Davie;
- BBC Established: 18 October 1922.
You may also read this:
- Swachh Sujal Shakti Samman 2023 organized by the Ministry of Jal Shakti
- HDFC Bank’s Sashidhar Jagdishan is ‘BS Banker of the Year 2022’