Indian women’s cricket team captain, Mithali Raj (39 years old), hailing from Jodhpur, Rajasthan, announced her retirement from all forms of International cricket. Previously in September 2019, she retired from twenty 20 International (T20Is) but continued to play One Day Internationals(ODIs) and Test cricket.
- Mithali Raj made her International debut in the ODI against Ireland at Milton Keynes in 1999.
- She has represented India in around 232 ODI matches and scored 7805 runs (50.68 on average). She is the only female cricketer to reach the 7,000-run mark. She holds the record for most runs in Women’s ODI.
- She has played 12 Test Matches for India scoring 699 runs and 89 T20Is scoring 2,364 runs.
- She has scored a tally of 10,868 runs across all three formats and became the “leading run-scorer of all-time in women’s international cricket”.
Awards & honours:
- The government of India(GoI) honoured her with Arjuna Award in 2003 for her outstanding achievement in cricket and the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award in 2021.
- GoI honoured her with Padma Shri in 2015 for her contribution to sports