Manika Batra, the Indian Table Tennis player, became the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Asian Cup Table Tennis Tournament. Manika defeated World no.6 Hina Hayata of Japan in the Asian Cup 2022 in the women’s singles bronze medal match in Bangkok, Thailand. Union Minister Kiren Rijiju appreciated Manika Batra for her performance and spectacular achievement.
Manika Batra: First Indian woman to win medal at Asian Cup Table Tennis- Key Points
- Manika Batra defeated Hina Hayata by 4-2 in the medal match.
- Manika Batra led the match by 2-1, but Hayata seemed poised to level the match with a 10-6 lead in the fourth game.
- She took 6 points and successfully turned the momentum in her favor.
- Manika is India’s top-ranked table tennis player and is at world no. 44
- On the same day, Manika Batra lost the game to Mima Ito of Japan in Semi-Finals.
- Mima Ito is Tokyo 2020 Bronze medallist.
- In the Asian Cup 2022 Table Tennis Tournament, Manika Batra defeated World no. 23 Chen Szu Yu of Chinese Taipei in the quarterfinals.
About Asian Cup Table Tennis Tournament
Asian Cup Table Tennis Tournament is an annual competition which is held by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) and the Asian Table Tennis Union. The first edition of the Asian Cup Table Tennis Tournament was held in 1983.