The National Aeronautics and Space Administration is set to launch four astronauts to the International Space Station on World Earth Day (April 22). NASA is to launch the mission along with SpaceX. It is the second crewed operational flight of Crew Dragon Spacecraft.
The mission will transport four scientists to the International Space Station. The astronauts to travel to the International Space Station are from NASA, JAXA and ESA. JAXA is the Japanese Space Agency and ESA is European Space Agency.
About Crew Dragon
- Crew Dragon was the first space vehicle to launch humans from American soil in nine years. It was first launched in May 2020.
- It was funded through NASA’s Commercial Crew Programme. It evolved from an earlier design called Dragon 1.
- Dragon 1 was launched more than twenty times on missions to deliver cargo to the International Space Station between 2012 and 2020.
- SpaceX Crew 1 was the first time astronauts used a spaceship developed and launched by a private company. Also, it carried back astronauts to the earth.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Acting Administrator of NASA: Steve Jurczyk.
- Headquarters of NASA: Washington D.C., United States.
- NASA Founded: 1 October 1958.
- SpaceX founder & CEO: Elon Musk.
- SpaceX Founded: 2002.
- SpaceX Headquarters: California, United States of America.