In a significant development in the realm of education, Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan announced on September 1 that The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has been conferred with the status of a deemed university. This momentous announcement was made during an event commemorating the 63rd foundation day of NCERT in the national capital.
A Milestone Achievement
- The decision to grant NCERT the esteemed status of a deemed university marks a watershed moment in the evolution of educational institutions in India.
- This move recognizes the exceptional contributions of NCERT to the field of education and underscores its commitment to excellence.
Holistic Education Integration
- In addition to the prestigious status conferred upon NCERT, Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan called for the integration of Bal Bhavans and Bal Vatika with NCERT.
- This visionary step aims to provide a holistic and comprehensive educational experience to children, fostering their overall development.
NCERT: Nurturing Educational Excellence
- Established in 1961 under the Society Act, NCERT has played a pivotal role in shaping the educational landscape of India.
- It has consistently provided valuable assistance and guidance to the government in matters related to school education.
- The institution’s dedication to maintaining high standards in education has now earned it the coveted status of a deemed university.
Implications of Deemed University Status
- With this new status, NCERT is poised to offer graduate, postgraduate, and doctoral degrees, expanding its educational horizons significantly.
- This development is not only a recognition of NCERT’s past achievements but also an investment in its potential to contribute further to the nation’s educational growth.
Inaugurating Innovative Labs
- During the event, Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated three labs, including one dedicated to virtual reality education and another focused on teacher training.
- These labs symbolize NCERT’s commitment to harnessing cutting-edge technologies and innovative pedagogical approaches to enhance the quality of education in India.
A Visionary Comparison: NEP and Chandrayaan-3
- Drawing parallels between the National Education Policy (NEP) and the Chandrayaan-3 mission, Pradhan expressed confidence that the NEP would be as successful as the recent ISRO project.
- Dharmendra Pradhan acknowledged that NCERT plays a pivotal role in incubating ideas for groundbreaking initiatives, emphasizing the significance of the institution’s role in shaping the future of education in the country.
- Notably, NCERT has also recently formed a committee tasked with shaping the curriculum and textbooks for classes 3 to 12.
- The committee’s primary goal is to align the curriculum with the National Curriculum Framework for School Education (NCF-SE), a critical component of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- This alignment ensures that education remains relevant, dynamic, and responsive to the evolving needs of students and society.