The Joint Ministerial Commission (JMC) between India and Australia was held in New Delhi. This was the 16th edition of the session. Piyush Goyal, Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry, Government of India and honourable Senator Simon Birmingham, Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Government of Australia co-chaired the joint ministerial commission held between two countries.
The session featured the participation of delegates from Departments of Fisheries, Revenue, Commerce, Agriculture, Department of Promotion of Industry & Internal Trade (DPIIT) and Ministry of External Affairs.
Agreements signed during the Joint Ministerial Commission:
- Both the countries negotiated to improve bilateral trade and investments through revival of the bilateral Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) negotiations.
- They agreed to deliberate on market access issues in both directions to enhance trade.
- They agreed to work on mutual recognition of educational qualifications of the two nations.
- They agreed to further the collaboration to increase the direct flights between Australia and India.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Australia Capital: Canberra; Currency: Australian Dollar.
- Prime Minister of Australia: Scott Morrison.