Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the new integrated food security scheme for providing free foodgrains to Antyodaya Ann Yojana (AAY) and Primary Household (PHH) beneficiaries, to be rolled out from 1st January 2023. The new scheme has been named Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana (PMGKAY). The PMGKAY started on 1st January 2023, benefiting more than 80 crores of poor and poorest of poor people.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana- Key Points
- To maintain uniformity and for the welfare of the beneficiaries, free food grains will be provided under PMGKAY for the year 2023.
- All the beneficiaries of the AAY and PHH will be provided with free foodgrains.
- The integrated scheme will strengthen the provisions of the National Food Security Act or NFSA 2013 in terms of accessibility, affordability, and availability of food grains for the poor.
- PMGKAY will include the two subsidy schemes of the Department of Food & Public Distribution.
- The subsidies include the Food Subsidy to FCI and Food Subsidy for Decentralisation procurement state dealing with procurement, allocation, and delivery of free foodgrains to the states.
- Notification has been issued for making the price of foodgrains zero for AAY and PHH beneficiaries, resolution of technical issues at Fair Price Shops (FPS), advisory related to margin to the Fair Price Shop Dealers, and Zero Prices in the print receipts.
- The Central Government will spend more than ₹2 lakh crore in 2023 as food subsidies under NFSA and other welfare schemes to remove the financial burden of the poor people.