The Finnish telecom equipment maker, Nokia has announced on March 16 that it has partnered with Microsoft, Amazon web services and Google so as to develop a new cloud-based 5G radio solution. This solution will be developed with its radio access network (RNA) technology. This partnership was gone with the objective of developing new business cases.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
About Radio Access Network (RAN)
- RAN is part of a mobile telecommunication system. This system implements radio access technology. RAN resides between a device like a computer, mobile phone or any remotely controlled machine. It also provides a connection with the core network.
- Based on the standard mobile phones and other wireless connected devices are called user equipment, terminal equipment or mobile station etc. The functionality of RAN is typically provided by the silicon chip which resides in both the core network and the user equipment.
Features of RAN
- The single handset or phone can be connected to multiple radio access networks simultaneously.
- The Handsets which are capable of this feature are called dual-mode handsets. For example, a handset can commonly support both GSM and UMTS or “3G” radio access technologies. Such devices also transfer the ongoing call across different radio access networks without any disruption to users.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Nokia CEO: Pekka Lundmark.
- Nokia Founded: 12 May 1865.
- Nokia Headquarters: Espoo, Finland.