What is Orange Cap?
The orange cap was started in the first season of IPL which was in 2008. The orange cap is awarded to the top run-getters or the top run-scorers in the IPL. As the IPL progresses and the batsman score, the Cap is passed on to the best and highest run-scorer batsman. At the end of the tournament, the orange cap is finally given to the Batsman who scored the highest runs in the whole season of the Indian premier league. The batsman who scores the highest runs is awarded an orange cap and he is allowed to wear the orange cap throughout the game on the field. If there is a tiebreaker in the event and two Batsman has scored the same, the batsman with the highest strike rate will be awarded the orange cap.
History of Orange Cap winners:
- The first orange cap was started in 2008 and the first recipient of the orange cap was Shaun Marsh, he represented Punjab Kings and made 616 runs in the first season of IPL.
- In 2010, the first Indian Batsman to win the Orange Cap was Sachin Tendulkar. He scored 618 runs and was representing Mumbai Indians.
- In 2011 and 2012, Chris Gayle won the orange cap for two consecutive seasons of IPL.
- In 2013, Michael Hussey won the orange cap while representing CSK. He made 733 runs with a strike rate of 129.5.
- Robin Uthappa won the orange cap in 2014, by scoring 660 runs. He represented KKR.
- In 2016, Virat Kohli won the orange cap. He scored 973 runs and represented RCB.
- David Warner is the only player, who won the orange cap the greatest number of times. He won the orange cap three times in 2015, 2017, and 2019. He was representing Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Kane Williamson won the orange cap in 2018, as he scored 735 runs in IPL.
- In 2020, KL Rahul won the orange cap. He scored 670 and represented PBKS (KXIP).
- In 2021, the orange cap was awarded to Ruturaj Gaikwad, who scored 635 runs with a strike rate of 136.27.
Top 10 Highest Run-Getters in IPL 2022
|3.||Quinton de Kock||LSG||508|
|8.||Faf du Plessis||RCB||443|
FAQs on IPL Orange Cap 2022
1. What is the history of the orange cap award in IPL?
Ans. The orange cap award was started in the first season of IPL 2008. The orange cap is rewarded to the highest run-getter in IPL.
2. Who won the maximum number of Orange caps in IPL?
Ans. David Warner has won the maximum number of Orange Caps in IPL. He won 3 orange caps while representing Sunrisers Hyderabad.