S Phangnon Konyak, a distinguished BJP leader and Nagaland’s first female Rajya Sabha MP, achieved a historic feat as she took on the role of presiding over the Rajya Sabha. This remarkable milestone in her political journey marks her as the first woman from Nagaland to assume this prestigious position.
S. Phangnon Konyak: Pioneering Politician from Nagaland Making Historic Strides
- S. Phangnon Konyak, an Indian politician hailing from Nagaland, holds the position of State President of BJP Mahila Morcha in her region. In a historic moment, she earned the distinction of being the first woman from Nagaland to secure a seat as a Member of Parliament in the Rajya Sabha.
- In addition to being the first female Rajya Sabha MP in April 2022, S. Phangnon Konyak achieved another groundbreaking milestone on July 17, 2023, by becoming the inaugural woman member to be appointed to the panel of vice-chairpersons.
Historic Step towards Gender Equality: Women Members Nominated to Panel of Vice-Chairpersons in Rajya Sabha
- To promote gender equality, Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar, the Chairman of Rajya Sabha, took a remarkable initiative by nominating four women members, constituting 50% of the total, to the panel of Vice-Chairpersons.
- This marks the first instance in the history of the Upper House where women members have received equal representation in the panel of Vice-Chairpersons.
- The other accomplished women members appointed to the panel include PT Usha, S Phangnon Konyak, Dr. Fauzia Khan from the Nationalist Congress Party, and Sulata Deo from the Biju Janata Dal.
Female Leaders from Nagaland
Earlier this year on 7 March, Salhoutuonuo Kruse and Hekani Jakhalu, both representing the ruling Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party, became the first women candidates to be elected in the state assembly election. This achievement holds particular significance as it marks the first time in 60 years since Nagaland attained statehood that two women candidates have been elected.
Key takeaways for competitive examinations
- 9th and current Chief Minister of Nagaland: Neiphiu Rio