The Press Information Bureau (PIB) is a government agency that releases news and information about the activities of the Indian government. On July 5, 2023, the PIB released a number of important news items, including the Raksha Rajya Mantri inaugurates CSD Depot, European Union Aviation Safety Agency, U20 Engagement Group of G20. This news analysis will provide a brief overview of each of these news items and discuss their implications. The analysis will also highlight some of the other important news items that were released by the PIB on July 5, 2023. Additionally, it will highlight other important announcements made by the PIB on the same day.
Top Press Information Bureau (PIB) News of the day:
1. Raksha Rajya Mantri inaugurates CSD Depot in Ambala
- Raksha Rajya Mantri, Mr. Ajay Bhatt, officially opened the new premises of the Canteen Store Department (CSD) Depot in Ambala on July 5, 2023. The construction of the facility was carried out by Dedicated Freight Corridor India Limited, a subsidiary of the Railway Ministry, in exchange for the land occupied by the old CSD depot.
- During the inauguration, Mr. Bhatt acknowledged and praised the CSD for its efforts in implementing Prime Minister’s vision of automation and improving the ease of doing business, thus providing exceptional service to the armed forces, veterans, and their families. He extended his congratulations to the department for completing 75 years of dedicated service to the armed forces and their families.
- Established in 1948, the CSD currently operates through 34 regional depots across the country. Mr. Bhatt commended the department’s outstanding and commendable contribution in ensuring uninterrupted supply of essential commodities to beneficiaries throughout the pandemic. Furthermore, he expressed appreciation for the Indian Railways’ endeavors in undertaking projects that contribute to the country’s economic growth.
2. DGCA signs MoU with European Union Aviation Safety Agency for unmanned aircraft systems & Innovative air mobility
- The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) in India and the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enhance cooperation in the fields of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and Innovative Air Mobility. This agreement aims to facilitate collaboration and exchange of knowledge between the two civil aviation authorities specifically pertaining to unmanned aircraft and innovative air mobility.
- Under this MoU, the DGCA and EASA will collaborate on the development of certification standards, environmental standards, and related requirements for unmanned aircraft systems and innovative air mobility operations. This encompasses various aspects such as personnel licensing, training, air traffic management, infrastructure, and the establishment of standards and services for Unmanned Aircraft System Traffic Management (UTM).
- The MoU also entails regular sharing of information between the two authorities regarding technological advancements and research in the field, as well as their respective strategies for engaging relevant stakeholders. Additionally, it will foster collaboration in organizing conferences, workshops, and training programs conducted by the DGCA and EASA in these domains.
- The signing of this MoU is anticipated to lead to the alignment of standards and promote the rapid growth of the unmanned aviation sector in India.
3. U20 Engagement Group of G20 to meet on 7-8 July for the Mayoral Summit
- Delegates and participants from 57 cities worldwide, as well as 35 cities from India, will convene in Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar, Gujarat, on July 7-8, 2023. This grand event is the Mayoral Summit of the sixth cycle of the Urban 20 (U20), which is an Engagement Group operating under the G20 framework. The U20 serves as a platform for cities from G20 countries to engage in discussions and collectively address urban priorities that inform G20 negotiations.
- With a remarkable gathering of over 500 participants, including Mayors, Deputy Mayors, city officials, government delegates, and knowledge partners, this summit is set to become one of the largest U20 gatherings to date. The twin cities of Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar are adorned with banners and posters showcasing the priorities of Ahmedabad City, the U20 Chair, for this prestigious occasion.