Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi has chaired the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) open debate, via video conferencing. With this, PM Modi has become the first Prime Minister of India to chair a UNSC open debate. It must be remembered that India has assumed the Presidency of the UNSC for August 2021, taking over from France.
The theme of the high-level open debate was ‘Enhancing Maritime Security – A Case for International Cooperation’. India will organize two more meetings during its presidency, on peacekeeping and counterterrorism.
During the debate, PM Modi also underlined five principles that need to be followed in terms of maritime trade and security, which included:
- free maritime trade sans barriers,
- peaceful settlement of maritime disputes,
- combating maritime threats,
- encouraging responsible maritime connectivity and
- preserving maritime environment and resources