During his two-day visit to Kerala, Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to inaugurate India’s first-ever water metro that connects 10 islands surrounding Kochi using battery-operated electric hybrid boats. This innovative mode of transportation will provide seamless connectivity between the islands and the city, offering a similar level of convenience and travel experience as traditional metro systems. This transportation system is particularly beneficial in urban areas like Kochi.
About India’s first Water Metro:
- The metro project in Kochi will begin with eight electric hybrid boats developed by Cochin Shipyard Limited.
- The project is being funded by the Kerala government and the German company KfW.
- The water metro system will include 38 terminals and 78 electric boats.
- The first phase of the KWM service will launch from High Court-Vypin and Vyttila-Kakkanad terminals.
- The tickets for the boat trip will start at Rs 20 and weekly and monthly passes will be available for frequent travelers.
- The Kochi One Card can be used for both Kochi Metro Rail and Kochi Water Metro.
- The Kochi One App allows users to digitally purchase tickets.
Other Projects in Kerala: Worth over Rs 3,200 crore.
- Prime Minister Modi will inaugurate and lay the foundation stone for various projects worth over Rs 3,200 crore.
- The rail electrification of the Dindigul-Palani-Palakkad section will be dedicated by PM Modi.
- The foundation stone for the redevelopment of Thiruvananthapuram, Kozhikode, and Varkala Sivagiri railway stations will be laid.
- PM Modi will also lay the foundation for comprehensive development projects in the Thiruvananthapuram area, including Nemon and Kochuveli.
- The sectional speed of the Thiruvananthapuram-Shoranur section will also be increased during the event.