Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw has announced that the Union government plans to introduce ‘Vande Metro’ by December 2023. This announcement comes after the successful launch of the Vande Bharat Express, which is a semi-high-speed train operating in several parts of the country. The upcoming metro network is expected to connect major cities and provide a cost-effective mode of transportation.
More About The ‘Vande Metro’:
Vaishnaw further mentioned that ‘Vande Metro‘ will operate on a short-distance metro rail network, connecting major cities within a distance of 100 kilometers or less. This new initiative will help ease the congestion pressure on local trains. Vaishnaw emphasized that ‘Vande Metro’ will be affordable and is based on the positive response received for the Vande Bharat Express. He confirmed that the trains will be operational by December.
When asked about the “High-Speed Test Track,” Vaishnaw informed that it is designed to assist in testing high-speed trains, and will accelerate the process of constructing such trains.
Key Features of the Vande Metro:
- The Vande Metro is a short-distance version of the Vande Bharat Express.
- It will run between cities that are less than 100 kilometers apart.
- The train will operate at a high frequency, with four to five trips per day.
- The Vande Metro will have eight coaches, similar to a metro train.
- This is in contrast to the 16-car composition of the Vande Bharat Express.
- The aim of the Vande Metro is to provide an affordable and efficient mode of transportation to job seekers and students.
- The Ministry has instructed the Integral Coach Factory in Chennai and the Research Design and Standard Organisation in Lucknow to begin production of the eight-car rakes for the Vande Bharat trains as soon as possible.