Home   »   Schemes and Committees Current Affairs 2023   »   PM Modi Launches Two Schemes for...

PM Modi Launches Two Schemes for Wetland and Mangrove Conservation on World Environment Day

On World Environment Day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched two schemes, namely Amrit Dharohar and MISHTI (Mangrove Initiative for Shoreline Habitats and Tangible Incomes). These schemes are aimed at reviving and conserving India’s wetlands and mangroves, contributing to the campaign for a green future and green economy. This article highlights the objectives and key features of the schemes, along with the government’s efforts towards sustainable development and environmental conservation.

Amrit Dharohar Yojana:

Conserving Ramsar Sites The Amrit Dharohar Yojana focuses on the conservation of existing Ramsar sites in India through active public participation. Ramsar sites are wetlands of international importance designated under the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands. With this scheme, these sites will become centers of eco-tourism and a source of green jobs, benefiting local communities. The scheme aims to achieve sustainable ecosystem development and will be implemented over the next three years.

Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams

MISHTI:

Reviving Mangrove Ecosystems The Mangrove Initiative for Shoreline Habitats and Tangible Incomes (MISHTI) aims to restore and protect the mangrove ecosystem in India. Mangroves play a crucial role in mitigating the threats posed by rising sea levels and cyclones to coastal areas and the livelihoods of communities. The scheme targets the restoration of mangrove cover across nine states in the country. Over the next five years, nearly 540 square kilometers of mangrove area will be comprehensively developed across 11 states and two union territories, starting from the fiscal year 2024.

Objectives of MISHTI Scheme

The MISHTI scheme has several primary objectives, including:

  • Sharing best practices on plantation techniques, management practices, and conservation measures.
  • Mobilizing resources through public-private partnerships.
  • Promoting sustainable development and livelihoods in coastal areas.
  • Mitigating the impact of climate change on vulnerable communities.

Funding and Implementation

The central government will bear 80% of the project cost, while state governments will contribute the remaining 20%. This partnership approach ensures collective responsibility and effective implementation of the schemes. The involvement of local communities, public participation, and eco-tourism initiatives will contribute to the success of the conservation efforts.

India’s Focus on Green and Clean Energy

Prime Minister Modi emphasized India’s commitment to green and clean energy. Over the past nine years, the country has made unprecedented progress in this area. Initiatives like Mission Green Hydrogen and natural farming practices have been launched to promote sustainable energy sources and reduce dependence on chemical fertilizers, thus protecting soil and water resources.

Progress in Plastic Waste Management

India has taken significant steps to combat plastic pollution. Since 2018, the government has implemented bans on single-use plastics and made plastic waste processing mandatory. As a result, approximately 3 million tonnes of plastic packaging have been compulsorily recycled, accounting for 75% of the annual plastic waste produced in India. Thousands of producers, importers, and brands have been brought under the ambit of these regulations.

Mission LiFE

Promoting Sustainable Lifestyles PM Modi highlighted the importance of Mission LiFE (Lifestyle for Environment) in promoting a new consciousness about lifestyle changes to combat climate change. This mission aims to encourage individuals to adopt sustainable practices in their daily lives, contributing to a cleaner and greener environment.

Also Read:

Find More News Related to Schemes & Committees

PM Modi Launches Two Schemes for Wetland and Mangrove Conservation on World Environment Day_40.1

 

PM Modi Launches Two Schemes for Wetland and Mangrove Conservation on World Environment Day_50.1