Prasar Bharati celebrated the silver jubilee or 25 years of its establishment on 23 November, 2022. It was on this day in 1997, that it came into being as a statutory autonomous body set up by an Act of Parliament. It comprises the Doordarshan and All India Radio. Prasar Bharati CEO Gaurav Dwivedi said, Prasar Bharati has stood firmly with the people during the challenges faced by the country and the world.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
About Prasar Bharati:
- It is the largest statutory autonomous public broadcasting agency in India which was established in 1997.
- It was established under an Act of Parliament and consists of Doordarshan Television Network and All India Radio.
- In September 1990, the Parliament passed the Prasar Bharati (Broadcasting Corporation of India) Act.
- This act made provision for the establishment of a Broadcasting Corporation of India named Prasar Bharati.
About the Prasar Bharati Act:
- The Prasar Bharati Act provides for the establishment of a Broadcasting Corporation, to be known as Prasar Bharati, and define its composition, functions, and powers. The Act grants autonomy to All India Radio and to Doordarshan, both of which were previously under government control.
- The Act received the assent of the President of India on 12 September 1990 after being unanimously passed by Parliament. It was finally implemented in November 1997.
- By the Prasar Bharati Act, all property, assets, debts, liabilities, payments of money due, as well as all suits and legal proceedings involving Akashvani (All India Radio) and Doordarshan were transferred to Prasar Bharati.
- The organization started as All India Radio (AIR) in the past and Doordarshan (DD) was born to cater television services later and finally came Prasar Bharati (PB) by enactment of an act by the parliament.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Prasar Bharati Head quarters: New Delhi;
- Prasar Bharati CEO: Gaurav Dwivedi.
Find More Miscellaneous News Here