Telangana’s Nishanth Bhukya and Odisha’s Tanvi Patri became the boys and girls’ singles’ champions at the 34th Under-13 National Badminton Championships, notching contrasting wins at the UP-Badminton Academy.
Fourth-seeded Bhukya came from behind to beat Andhra Pradesh’s Akhil Reddy Boba 19-21, 21-12, 22-20 in 44 minutes whereas Patri took just 22 minutes to brush aside local challenger and 15th-seeded Divyanshi Gautam 21-7, 21-10.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Telangana’s Bhukya and Odisha’s Patri Held National U-13 Badminton Titles- Key Points
- Patri won her maiden National U-13 Ranking Tournament in Maharashtra earlier this month, and Patri was in sublime touch against Agra’s Gautam.
- Tossing and placing the shuttle well, Patri kept Gautam on her toes with cross-court volleys to take the first game.
- In the second round, Gautam tried to narrow the lead after trailing 5-9, dribbling the shuttle at the net, Patri was too good in her placements and forced Gautam to commit a series of unforced errors before wresting the game as well as the match.
- In the boy’s final, Bhukya found Boba quite tough to handle in the first game as the Andhra shuttler raced to a 15-11 lead before winning the game at 21-19.
- After the change of ends, fourth-seeded Bhukya came from behind to beat Boba.
- It was neck-and-neck in the decider, but Bhukya kept his nerves under control to clinch the issue after drawing parity at 20-all.