Prime Ministers’ Museum and Library Society: At a special meeting presided over by Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh, who is Vice-President of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society, it was resolved to change the society’s name to Prime Ministers’ Museum and Library Society. The decision was influenced by the completion of the Pradhanmantri Sangrahalaya, a museum dedicated to all the Prime Ministers of India, which opened to the public on 21 April 2022 on Teen Murti Premises in New Delhi.
Why in News?
• The Executive Council of the NMML had approved the construction of the museum in 2016, based on an idea proposed by Prime Minister Shri Modi.
• However, they later felt that the name of the institution should reflect its new form, which now includes a Sangrahalaya showcasing the journey of democracy in Independent India and the contribution of each Prime Minister to nation-building.
Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML) About:
The Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML) was established in 1964 in the memory of Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India. It is located in the Teen Murti Bhavan in New Delhi, which was the official residence of Jawaharlal Nehru.
The foundation of NMML was laid by the then Prime Minister, Lal Bahadur Shastri. The idea behind the establishment of this museum and library was to preserve the life and work of Jawaharlal Nehru, his contribution to the Indian Independence movement and his leadership as the first Prime Minister of independent India. It also aimed to promote research and study of modern Indian history.
Why Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML) is important?
• The museum has a vast collection of Nehru’s personal belongings, rare photographs, documents and books. It has been divided into different sections showcasing different aspects of Nehru’s life including his childhood, education, political career, international relations and personal life.
• The library contains a large collection of books, journals, manuscripts, recordings and documents related to modern Indian history.
What has been happening with Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML)?
• Over the years, NMML has become an important center for research and study of Indian history and politics. It conducts regular seminars, lectures, workshops and other programmes which are attended by scholars, researchers, students and interested individuals. It also publishes books, journals and research papers on modern Indian history.
• In 2015, the government of India proposed to restructure NMML and transform it into a museum of modern Indian history, encompassing the lives and contributions of other leaders and personalities of India. However, this proposal was criticized by many as an attempt to dilute the importance and relevance of Nehru and his legacy. The controversy continues to this day.
Despite the controversies, NMML remains an important institution for the preservation and promotion of modern Indian history and the legacy of Jawaharlal Nehru.