Overview of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) was introduced on July 1st, 2015
- The primary objective of the yojana was to enhance water availability on farmlands, expanding cultivable areas with assured irrigation, improving on-farm water use efficiency, and advocating sustainable water conservation practices.
- The scheme places significant emphasis on the conservation and effective management of water resources.
Components of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
PMKSY consists of 4 major components implemented by various ministries.
The Ministry of Jal Shakti implements two main components:
1.“Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP)”
2.“Har Khet Ko Pani (HKKP)”.
“HKKP” consists of four sub-components:
- Command Area Development (CAD)
- Surface Minor Irrigation (SMI) Repair
- Renovation, and Restoration (RRR) of Water Bodies
- Groundwater Development
The Department of Land Resources, Ministry of Rural Development, handles the
3.“Watershed Development” component (WDC)
The Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare manages the
4.”Per Drop More Crop (PDMC)” component.
Here is the information presented in a tabular format:
|1. Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP)||Ministry of Jal Shakti|
|2. Har Khet Ko Pani (HKKP)||Ministry of Jal Shakti|
|– Command Area Development (CAD)|
|– Surface Minor Irrigation (SMI)|
|– Repair, Renovation, and Restoration (RRR)|
|of Water Bodies|
|– Groundwater Development|
|3. Watershed Development (WDC)||Department of Land Resources,|
|Ministry of Rural Development|
|4. Per Drop More Crop (PDMC)||Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare|
Objectives of these components
PMKSY (Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme)
- The emphasis is on expediting the completion of ongoing Major and Medium Irrigation projects, including National Projects.
PMKSY (Har Khet ko Pani)
- Establishment of new water sources through Minor Irrigation, encompassing both surface and groundwater methods.
- Repair, restoration, and renovation of water bodies, with a focus on enhancing their carrying capacity.
- Construction of rainwater harvesting structures (Jal Sanchay) to conserve rainwater effectively.
PMKSY (Watershed Development)
- Efficient management of runoff water and implementation of soil and moisture conservation activities at the watershed level, including ridge area treatment, drainage line treatment, rainwater harvesting, and in-situ moisture conservation.
- Integration with the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) to fully utilize the potential of water sources in identified backward rainfed blocks, which may also involve the restoration of traditional water bodies.
PMKSY (Per Drop More Crop)
- Promotion of efficient water conveyance and precision water application devices such as drips, sprinklers, pivots, and rain-guns in farming practices (Jal Sinchan).
- Capacity building, training, and awareness campaigns, utilizing low-cost publications, pico projectors, and low-cost films to promote the adoption of water-saving technologies, agronomic practices, and community irrigation.
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) interventions for enhancing water use efficiency, precision irrigation technologies, on-farm water management, crop alignment, and conducting intensive monitoring of the Scheme.
Progress made thus far
6 new AIBP projects were added under PMKSY since 2021-22
List of 6 new AIBP projects added with their Irrigation potential/Central assistance/Expenditure
|S.No.||State/UT/ Project||Irrigation potential created
(in thousand hectare)
|Central assistance released
(Rs. in crore)
(Rs. in crore)
|1||Jihe Kathapur project (Maharashtra)||7.90||39.02||94.78|
|3||Parwan multipurpose project (Rajasthan)||9.14||41.43||1,042.95|
|4||Kannadian channel (Tamil Nadu)||4.12||34.74||94.10|
|5||ERM of Sukla irrigation project (Assam)||0.00||41.98||91.82|
|6||ERM of Loktak LIS (Ph-I) (Manipur)||3.71||24.88||28.58|
PMKSY-AIBP: Number of projects identified and completed so far
|Sl. No.||State/UT||No. of irrigation projects funded||No. of irrigation projects completed|
|8||UT of Jammu & Kashmir||3||3|
|21||UT of Ladakh||1||0|
* Newly included AIBP projects after approval of PMKSY for implementation during 2021-26.
PMKSY-HKKP: Number of Irrigation potential created in thousand hectare and Number of wells completed so far
|S. No.||State/UT||Irrigation potential created in thousand hectare||Ground Water (no. of wells completed)|
|Surface Minor Irrigation||Repair, Renovation & Restoration of water bodies|
|6.||UTs of J&K and Ladakh||31.66||–||–|
PMKSY-WDC: Projects sanctioned and completed so far
|Sl.No.||State||No. of projects funded||Projects reported as completed|
|9||UT of Jammu & Kashmir||119||119|
|10||UT of Ladakh||11||11|
PMKSY- PDMC: Area covered under micro irrigation so far
|S. No.||State||Total in thousand hectare|
Key takeaways for competitive examinations
- Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare: Shri Narendra Singh Tomar