Pulitzer Prizes 2022
The 106th class of Pulitzer Prize winners in Journalism, Books, Drama and Music were announced. The Pulitzer Prize is an award for achievements in newspaper, magazine, online journalism, literature and musical composition within the United States. It was established in 1917 by provisions in the will of Joseph Pulitzer, who had made his fortune as a newspaper publisher, and is administered by Columbia University.
Pulitzer Prize 2021
Here’s the full list of winners in journalism and their awards:
- The Washington Post for its account of the assault on Washington on January 6, 2021.
Breaking News Reporting
- The staff of the Miami Herald for its coverage of the collapse of the Seaside apartment towers in Florida.
- Corey G. Johnson, Rebecca Woolington and Eli Murray of the Tampa Bay Times for an expose of highly toxic hazards inside Florida’s only battery recycling plant that forced the implementation of safety measures to adequately protect workers and nearby residents.
- Staff of Quanta Magazine, notably Natalie Wolchover, for reporting on how the Webb Space Telescope works.
- Madison Hopkins of the Better Government Association and Cecilia Reyes of the Chicago Tribune for an examination of Chicago’s long history of failed building and fire safety code enforcement.
- The staff of The New York Times for a project that quantified a disturbing pattern of fatal traffic stops by police.
- The staff of The New York Times for reporting that exposed the vast civilian tolls of US-led airstrikes, challenging official accounts of American military engagements in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan.
- Jennifer Senior of The Atlantic for a portrayal of a family’s reckoning of loss in the 20 years since 9/11.
- Melinda Henneberger of the Kansas City Star for persuasive columns demanding justice for alleged victims of a retired police detective accused of being a sexual predator.
- Salamishah Tillet, contributing critic at large for The New York Times, for writing about Black stories in art and popular culture.
- Lisa Falkenberg, Michael Lindenberger, Joe Holley and Luis Carrasco of the Houston Chronicle for a campaign that, with original reporting, revealed voter suppression tactics, rejected the myth of widespread voter fraud and argued for sensible voting reforms.
Illustrated Reporting and Commentary
- Fahmida Azim, Anthony Del Col, Josh Adams and Walt Hickey of Insider for a comic on an Uyghur internment camp.
Breaking News Photography
- Marcus Yam of the Los Angeles Times for raw and urgent images of the US departure from Afghanistan.
- Win McNamee, Drew Angerer, Spencer Platt, Samuel Corum and Jon Cherry of Getty Images for comprehensive and consistently riveting photos of the attack on the US capitol.
- Adnan Abidi, Sanna Irshad Mattoo, Amit Dave and the late Danish Siddiqui of Reuters for images of Covid’s toll in India.
- Staffs of Futuro Media and PRX for “Suave” — an immersive profile of a man re-entering society after more than 30 years in prison.
Here’s the list for books, drama and music:
- The Netanyahus: An Account of a Minor and Ultimately Even Negligible Episode in the History of a Very Famous Family, by Joshua Cohen.
- Fat Ham, by James Ijames
- Covered with Night, by Nicole Eustace and Cuba: An American History, by Ada Ferrer
- Chasing Me to My Grave: An Artist’s Memoir of the Jim Crow South, by the late Winfred Rembert as told to Erin I. Kelly
- frank: sonnets, by Diane Seuss
- Invisible Child: Poverty, Survival & Hope in an American City, by Andrea Elliott
- Voiceless Mass, by Raven Chacon
Special Awards and Citations
The Journalists of Ukraine: The Pulitzer Board awards a special citation to the journalists of Ukraine for their courage, endurance, and commitment to truthful reporting during Vladimir Putin’s ruthless invasion of their country and his propaganda war in Russia. Despite the bombardment, abductions, occupation, and even deaths in their ranks, they have persisted in their effort to provide an accurate picture of a terrible reality, doing honour to Ukraine and to journalists around the world.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams