The government-run organisation, Niti Aayog’s Vice Chairperson, Rajiv Kumar has resigned due to a government order. Suman Bery, an economist, will take over as the new head of the planning agency.
- The government has authorised Rajiv Kumar’s resignation and Suman Bery’s appointment, according to an order issued by the Cabinet Appointments Committee. Rajiv Kumar will be relieved of his duties, according to the ruling.
- The reason for Rajiv Kumar’s resignation was not stated in the order.
- After Arvind Panagariya resigned from the job in August 2017 to return to academia, Rajiv Kumar, an economist, was named vice chairman of the Niti Aayog.
- Suman Bery previously worked for the National Council of Applied Economic Research in New Delhi as director-general (chief executive).
- He also served on the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council, the Statistical Commission, and the Technical Advisory Committee on Monetary Policy of the Reserve Bank of India.
- Suman Bery formerly worked for the World Bank in Washington before joining the NCAER.
- Macroeconomics, financial markets, and public debt management are among his specialties, with a concentration on Latin America.