Telecom operator Reliance Jio is constructing the largest international submarine cable system centred on India with global partners and submarine cable supplier Subcom to cater to increased data demand. The two submarine cable systems which the company plans to deploy will connect India with Asia Pacific markets (Singapore, Thailand & Malaysia) and others with Italy & Africa.
About the Submarine cable networks:
- Submarine cable networks connect several nations for the flow of internet & telecom services. This high capacity and high-speed systems will provide more than 200 Tbps (terabits per second) of capacity spanning over 16,000 kilometres.
- The IAX system that will connect India from Mumbai and Chennai to Thailand, Malaysia, and is expected to be ready for service by mid-2023 and the IEX system that will extend India’s connectivity to Italy, landing in Savona and additional landings in the Middle East and North Africa is expected to be ready for service in early 2024.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Reliance Jio President Infocomm: Mathew Oommen;
- Reliance Jio Founder: Mukesh Ambani;
- Reliance Jio Founded: 2007;
- Reliance Jio Headquarters: Mumbai.