Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil wins gold in World Championship: Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil defeated Danillo Sollazo of Italy to win the gold medal match 17–13. Balasaheb Patil would have thought his Olympic goal was just a tiny bit closer when he glanced above one more at the Olympic city shooting range in Cairo. Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil did this during the 10m air rifle gold medal match at the ISSF World Championships.
Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil wins gold in ISSF World Championship
- Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil’s opponent, Italian Danillo Sollazo, who was competing for the gold medal, had only received a score of 10.2, compared to 10.5 for his pellet.
- He won 17-13, earning the gold medal because to the two points he received for having the higher score.
Rudrankksh seals Olympic quota for ?? with a gold ? in Cairo !
PATIL Rudrankksh Balasaheb secured the spot at ISSF World Championship (RP), Cairo, Egypt in 10m AR Men. Patil came from behind to win with a score of 17-13
— SAI Media (@Media_SAI) October 14, 2022
- By placing in the top 4, he had already secured a quota berth for the Paris Olympics a few minutes prior.
- Rudrankksh had been 4-10 behind Sollazo, a young prospect himself.
- With his final stroke in the ranking round, he was only able to get to the final two, beating out Lihao Sheng of China, who won the silver medal in the Olympics.
Olympic quota for India for Paris Olympic 2024
Patil is the only owner of the gold medal; however, the nation owns the Olympic quota. And it is unique. India has won several gold medals in world cups, but winning titles across all events at the World Championships, which occur only every four years, is far less often. Since Abhinav Bindra’s victory in the 10m air rifle event in 2006, India has not previously won a gold medal in that competition. It also identifies him as a potential threat as a rifle shooter. Winners of the 10m air rifle competition at the World Championships have earned medals at the ensuing Olympic competitions starting in 2006. That type of sign is exactly what Indian shooting, which had a catastrophic Olympic campaign in Tokyo, needed to hear.